Permits & Inspection
LICENSE AND PERMITS
Opening a business in Opelousas? Here are some basic instructions on commercial occupancy within the municipality of Opelousas:
- All new businesses locating within the city limits of Opelousas must purchase an Occupancy Permit before electrical service is turned on. All new businesses must also apply for an Occupational License.
- Newly constructed commercial buildings or buildings whereas any renovations are performed, a copy of the State Fire Marshal’s certificate of approval must be presented when applying for a permit.
- Permits are required before placing signs on buildings or on grounds.
- If occupancy is within the Historic District, you are required to fill out an Application for Appropriateness for occupancy and signs.
Procedures for obtaining an electrical tag
- Prior to new construction any any additions or renovations requiring any alterations of electrical service or any building being moved unto any property, an Application for Permit must be obtained.
- Fee depending on service or work done
- Name and address of property owner
- Name and address of tenant
- Contractor MUST be State Licensed or Licensed by the City of Opelousas
- Copy of State License or License by City
- Certificate of Insurance (General Liability and Workman’s Compensation)
- Occupational License
NEW PERMIT FEE SCHEDULES click HERE
For Contractors only
For contractors wanting to apply for a City Contractors License, please submit an Application for Contractors License and fee with the following documentation:
- Copy of Certificate of Insurance ($100,000 plus product warranty, General Liability, and Workman’s Comp)
- Copy of current Occupational License if purchased in another city.
- If you live within the corporate limits of the City of Opelousas you MUST purchase an Occupational License with us.
- If you are a building contractor registered with the State of Louisiana, please send #1 and #2 or #1 and #3 and a copy of your State License (no renewal fee).
- Contractors License Fee is $25.00. First year fee is $75.00.
Permits and licenses above are available in fill-able and printable PDF format.
Permits must be submitted to and can be obtained from the Code Enforcement Office, Mondays thru Fridays, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (closed 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. for lunch) at the address below.
105 North Main Street
Opelousas, Louisiana 70571-0712