- This event has passed.
Lighting of the Nativity and Courthouse Square
November 28 @ 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm CST
This year’s St. Landry Parish Courthouse Nativity Scene Committee extends an invitation to celebrate the unveiling and lighting of the historic Nativity and live oaks at the St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square on Saturday, November 28th at dusk. This year marks the 67th anniversary of the Nativity Scene.
The nativity scene at the St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square first became an idea in the 1940s and made its appearance shortly thereafter. In 1953, a special building was constructed for the nativity scene. The St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square is located at 118 S. Court Street in Opelousas.
More about the Nativity Scene:
On Sunday, Dec. 6, 1953, the nativity scene on the St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square was unveiled at a special ceremony where Mabel Cools was recognized for soliciting donations used to purchase the nativity figures. Sidney Sandoz was recognized as chairman of the building committee. Robert Dejean served as Master of Ceremonies. Following the unveiling, the downtown Christmas lights were turned on. (Source: Daily World, 1953)