Before the arrival of the winter weather conditions, citizens are advised to take the necessary safety precautions for extreme cold. Please be aware that the temperatures could pose a threat of freezing rain, sleet and snow across St. Landry Parish. The weather is expected to begin tonight and continue into early next week. Here are a few cold weather safety tips:
Protect your pipes:
- Run water at a trickle and keep cabinet doors open to prevent pipes from freezing.
Protect your family:
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold. Try to stay dry and out of the wind.
- If you have pets or farm animals, make sure they have plenty of food and water and are not overly exposed to extreme cold.
- Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia. Some people are more susceptible to the cold, particularly children, the elderly, and those with circulation problems.
- Do not use a stove or oven to heat your home as a house fire may result from this practice.
- Eat food for warmth and drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout, even if you don’t feel very thirsty. Dehydration can be more difficult to notice during cold-weather exercise. If your lips are chapped, this means you need more water.
Please don’t overdo it:
- Both cold weather and exercise put stress on your body, so start your exercise routine slowly and listen to your body.
Practice vehicle safety:
- Minimize travel. If you must go outside, slow down if you drive on icy roads and make sure your vehicle has at least a half a tank of gas.
- Check tire pressure and your car battery.
- Be sure to bring a safety kit with a blanket, warm clothes, water, and gloves if your car breaks down or becomes stranded.
Dress in layers:
- Dress appropriately. Wear several layers wear a light-weight synthetic material, not cotton, to draw the sweat away from your body and dry quickly.
- Add another layer or two of wool or fleece for insulating warmth.
- Top it off with a light-weight, Water-repellent, and wind-resistant material.
- Wear sturdy shoes with good traction.