Shop Safe and Shop Local for Residents and Businesses
The City of Opelousas would like to announce that Waffle House will be reopening tomorrow, April 23, 2020. Waffle House, which voluntarily closed its doors a few weeks ago, will reopen and be required to follow all the mandates and mitigation rules set in place. The city is also encouraging businesses that are currently open to follow these safety measures. These rules will also apply for business considering to reopen.
For residents who are shopping for food and supplies throughout the City of Opelousas, please adhere to the mandates and guidelines set in place. When shopping and moving around the area, be responsible and if you don’t need to be out and about, PLEASE STAY HOME. We also ask that if you must shop, please shop local! When you do this, your dollars stay in your community and you help create local jobs.
The City of Opelousas and our surrounding communities are gradually trying to move forward in a safe way to reopen our economy and our businesses. If this is to occur, we must adhere without question to the stay safe, which saves lives perspective. If we cannot follow these guidelines, we will face more challenging times ahead. I ask that each of us be smart and may God watch over all of us.
When shopping, please take the following precautions:
- Wear a face covering when out in public
- Shoppers and grocery employees should follow physical distancing rules (6 feet or one cart)
- Use credit cards or smartphones instead of cash when possible to minimize personal contact
- Stick to as few shoppers as possible – if at all possible, don’t bring the entire family to the store
Wash your hands often.
- If at all possible, STAY HOME!
Mayor Julius Alsandor